msar-riders - [MSAR] Mares in heat/Stallions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Mary Duffy <mduffy2727@juno.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mares in heat/Stallions
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:20:39 -0500

<<We've had this discussion before on MSAR-Riders, and the more
I think about it the more I think the most appropriate and
efficient rule should be that mares in season should be left
at home.

	Una Smith
	Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico>>
I can only hope this never happens and that you said this tongue in cheek:-) Either that or you must only ride geldings, Una!  I think mares get to the end of their rope, and she will then dig deeper to give you more when it is needed........when a gelding reaches the end of his rope.......he hangs himself:-)

Seriously though, a mare in heat should not be a problem on any kind of ride or search.  If a horse (of any gender) learns good, solid behavior early on....it shouldn't be an issue.  I also agree with Jorene that the SAR force would be greatly diminished if mares in heat were eliminated.  It all goes back to bad behavior being tolerated by the owner/rider of ANY horse.  Learning to use/deal with/excel with a mare in heat should be a challenge not a barrier.  Like us.......they can actually be MORE sensitive to what goes on around them (the subject we are working towards finding) when they are in estrus.

Did I mention I ride mares for SAR??

Mary

Mary C. Duffy
Lucky Rooster Farm - Registered Missouri Fox Trotters
MASOOI Mounted SAR - Equine Medic
http://www.masooi.org