msar-riders - Fw: [MSAR] (MSAR) Stallions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "BC911" <usark9@warpdriveonline.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Fw: [MSAR] (MSAR) Stallions
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:05:49 -0700

Hi group

I have only read a few of the posts but I will put in my two cents here.

Because I work SAR dogs, both a bitch and a dog, plus I ride, maybe I can point out a few differences in dogs and horses.

First, Mares come in season with regular frequency. Bitches come into season once about every six months or so.

Bitches are usually fixed unless they are breeding stock. Mares are almost never fixed unless they have a medical issue that needs to be addressed.
With horses, they are usually cut unless they are breeding stock due to temperament and training issues. Dogs are not always cut, (even though they should be) even if they are not breeding stock.

What we have here are two very different critters and we treat them very differently as well. If you leave your dog in tact, you will probably have your hands full with dog aggression issues and other training issues, but with a dog, you are talking about an animal that most people can control even when the dog is behaving badly. They are usually not life threatening due to their size and strength.
With a horse, he is near 800 to 1,000 pounds and if he takes his mind to do something, well,,,he usually can.

Mares in season will set off a horse just like a bitch in season will set off a dog. Difference is most SAR bitches are fixed and there is not much of an issue in the SAR dog world. If a bitch is in tact and comes into season, she will not be permitted in the search area, but remember that she is only coming into heat once every 6 to 9 months, it's just not as big an issue.
Also, stray bitches in season can and sometimes are in the search area. A dog might not work well, but he isn't going to hurt anyone either.
That brings us to another point. If you are working a stallion in an area where there are mares in season, not with a MSAR mare, you might have your hands full. You can't control farmers mares or mares grazing in a search area.

I think that you are asking for trouble if you are using a stallion as a SAR horse. If you are wanting to work MSAR, get a horse that is for MSAR and keep your stallion at home for your breeding program and other riding activities.
Mares are different than bitches and dogs and different than stallions. We should keep mind when bringing them into a public scenario.

I have different dogs for different types of searches. Why not do this with horses.

My personal opinion is that you need to leave the stallion at home. Too much risk.
Too many people are riding mares, and their frequency of coming into season is so often.  If you were to take mares out of MSAR when they are in season, you might just cut your resources in half.
How many people really want to use a stallion for MSAR anyway and why?

With dogs we get the right tool (dog) for the job, why not do the same thing with horses?

BTW, I do not condone keeping any dog or bitch in tact unless they are breeding stock for many reasons.

My two cents, now back to lurking ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

B. Diane Whetsel EMT I
Search Dogs Southwest
FEMA Type II Canine Readiness Evaluator
NMTF I, CSS
911BC, Search and Recovery
NASAR SAR Tech II

K-9's Rip, wilderness, HRD and forensics
K-9 Sage, FEMA Type I advanced disaster, wilderness and HRD

Horses, AQHA, Woody, and Miniature Horse (stallion), Sun Dance

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
~~Will Rogers