msar-riders - [MSAR] Stallions in SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Mary Duffy <mduffy2727@juno.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Stallions in SAR
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:27:55 -0500

1 & 2. Our MSAR unit also prohibits the use of stallions for training and
missions.

3. I see the prohibition as a pro for SAR. Although I am an experienced
stallion owner, rider, exhibitor, and my stallion is exemplary.........I
often find it is other horses (GELDINGS as well as mares:-) who behave
oddly when a stallion is around. Even if people don't know he's a
stallion, the horses know for sure. In my experience, well
raised/handled stallions are much better behaved than 'regular' horses.
For example, if a mare or gelding whinnies, acts spirited, breaks loose
in camp it is never attributed to the gender of the horse........just the
environment or excitement - NEVER to bad habits that have never been
addressed. Well mannered stallions are not allowed this type of behavior
from an early age.

I raise and train horses, and use 2 (and working on a third) mares for
SAR. When people use being in heat, being a mare or anything for that
matter, to excuse bad behavior.....it tends to raise my blood pressure!!
I think a well mannered, quiet gelding or mare is the ideal mount for
SAR.......and although I have raised my current stallion from a foal and
he is a gentleman at all times.......he remains home when it comes to
SAR.......I don't really see it changing.

The lack of horsemen (and women) in a SAR situation is enough reason to
leave the stud at home, in my opinion.

Mary C. Duffy
Lucky Rooster Farm - Registered Missouri Fox Trotters
MASOOI Mounted SAR - Equine Medic
http://www.masooi.org

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

  • [MSAR] Stallions in SAR, Mary Duffy, 03/17/2004