msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR resource development

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR resource development
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:44:32 -0600

Jeff Ezell wrote:
>The points about NASAR that I've read here seem valid about
>availability, cost, setting the bar too high for the job at
>hand, etc. But what else is there as a starting point?

NASAR is not our only choice, by far. Again, I recommend (to
those interested) subscribing to SAR-L, and reading the SAR-L
archives on the topic of standards.

>Anybody had success stories with corporate help that they
>could share so others might try it in their areas?

My employer has an interest in SAR, both as a consumer and
as a provider (to the surrounding communities) of relevant
services. So, when I am called out on work days, I can ask
to be paid (for personal reasons, many SAR volunteers who
work for my employer choose not to do this). My hours count
as an excused absence, and are paid from a special fund for
this purpose. My employer also provides relevant training,
primarily CPR/First Aid.

What else you as a unit can do...

Some SAR units are very successful in obtaining financial
support through United Way, or from their local sheriff
or police department (in some cases, even though the SAR
unit does not report to that department). My own unit is
not now affiliated with our county sheriff, but that may
change in the near future. If so, we may expect far more
support than we have now. Many MSAR units own land, and
from what I have gathered most of these units were *given*
the land by their local county. If you search for Posse
in GuideStar or other databases of charitable orgs, you
will see that several have over $100,000 in assets; this
is a matter of public record, even if it not reported in
the GuideStar database. My unit has land, once outside of
town, now in town and very valuable. I think it is not
too late to seeks grants of land or other assets to form
the foundation for a strong SAR team. But there are also
costs involved in this route (eg, we spend a lot of time
managing our assets), so proceed with caution!

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico