market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Graffiti Cauliflower

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Graffiti Cauliflower
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 23:21:16 -0600

"The plants are probably 1-2 feet tall with a long bare stock with all these leaves at the top. They look more like tiny palm trees."

These cauliflower plants are getting ready to flower and form seed which might be a great thing if the variety is one that you want to save.

Your dawdling cauliflowers probably had a check in their growth which could be caused by inconsistent moisture, fertility or soil temperatures and now the reduction in daylight hours may be influencing them to go dormant.  Seed production will follow dormancy if weather permits. On late fall crops meant for harvesting flowers, I find that, eventually, even the mild weather can't overcome short days.

Shawnee, zone 5 where I feel blessed if I can manage a brassica crop to seed production.