market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market vehicle & load weight for the market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market vehicle & load weight for the market
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 09:25:44 -0600

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 02:04:05PM -0400, Jimi Demetriou wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new market vehicle for next season. I am wondering
> if

I've used 1981-1986 Isuzu diesel pickups for many years. They give me
35-40 mpg. With a side door top, the entire load can be reached from
outside the truck. Most of my Isuzus now have over 200K miles with no
appreciable trouble. Water pumps and alternators. For 70 mph highway
use, they need a little more power. For 50-60 mph secondary roads,
they are fine. Advertised load capacity is about 1100 pounds; I've
hauled a lot more. With produce, you would have to have a lot of
potatoes or melons to reach the capacity.

A few years ago, I bought a new Sprinter. It has given me 25-28 mpg
over 60K miles. I have it configured for farmers markets: table rack
holds up to 4 up to 8' tables on edge. An EasyUp stands upright behind
the tables. Side door opens on to an insulated box that holds 8 banana
boxes. White color and no windows behind the passenger cabin means very
little heat gain from sun; it is never hotter in the van than outside.

For my current marketing efforts, the Sprinter is far bigger than I
need. I am lusting after a Transit. Were they offering diesels with
manual transmissions, they would already have sold me one. If they get
around to publicly offering the electric version, I am a likely
customer.

For delivering to grocery stores, my first choice is my Hyundai EV:
http://evalbum.com/2314
It is limited to 9 banana boxes. For up to 16 banana boxes, I try to
use my wife's Golf TDI which gives 50+ mpg. For more than 16 banana
boxes, it is the Sprinter or an Isuzu.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 62 days 6 hours 03 minutes