market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market vehicle & load weight for the market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market vehicle & load weight for the market
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 07:48:50 -0800 (PST)

I use my 1/2 ton extended cab truck and a S-10 truck bed trailer with a topper when I need extra room.  It sounds a little hokey, but it is a nice little trailer and it is enclosed.  Great for hauling plants and for keeping things dry on rainy days.

It also depends on what you haul your produce to market in. I haul all mine in rubbermade containers that are 1.5 by 2.5 by 6 inches tall. They all have lids. I can stack them 4-5 high in my truck and I can place 3 rows across and 3 rows deep.  This allows me to pack 30-40 tubs of produce.  Then I can lay my tables on top, along with a canopy (strap them all down) and I am on my way.

I have seen everything from an old school bus, to an old ambulance, and even a small trailer hooked to a lawn mower (the old guys old mini-van broke and he resorted to driving his lawn mower and trailer to market. He lived about 3/4 mile from the market. He did this for most of the summer.)

It also depends on your crops. If you are growing 3 acres of melons, or 3 acres of berries.  You would need different vehicles for this.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com