market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market vehicle & load weight for the market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market vehicle & load weight for the market
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 04:32:18 -0500

The vans seem to be popular. . . and I see their value.  We went a different way for market with a 16', 2 axle box trailer.  I built shelves down one side to store market supplies and flower buckets.  Combined with stackable bulb crates, we can fit 30 buckets of flowers in there, and haven't ever maxed out space for veggies.  During the main season we run one Sat am market, but Nov 1-Dec 31 we start doing 3-4.  I'm able to do a drop and pickup at 3 of these markets without having a separate vehicle for each.   Normal weekday csa deliveries go out in a pickup.

Pros. . .
You still have a tow vehicle that can be used for other purposes
Your market stuff has a constant home and doesn't have to do the Friday PM shuffle
Lots of space and the ability to heat before loading on freezing mornings
A home for market tomatoes so they don't have to be moved multiple times.

Cons. . .
Having someone that can competently pull a trailer with 4 hrs sleep
Finding a substitute driver. . . most of the people we have hired have no business pulling a trailer.

Time to go load. . .
John