market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market vehicle & load weight for the market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market vehicle & load weight for the market
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 05:42:38 -0800 (PST)

John Ferree wrote:
"The vans seem to be popular. . . and I see their value.  We went a different way for market with a 16', 2 axle box trailer.  I built shelves down one side to store market supplies and flower buckets.  " - Alison had a similar comment.

Like John, good help is hard to come by in SC. It is ironic that I have a 16 foot trailer and I am looking for a smaller trailer. I have been using my suburu and my dually for the markets. Most of my markets are mazes and hard to get around with a trailer- too far to unload then come back also. So like another local farmer has done, I am looking for a small deep sided trailer 4 by 8 or 5 by 8 or slightly smaller that I can cover and use with a smaller 8 ft bed pickup that is not so tall I have to use a step stool to get to the front side of the bed. If I have alot of pumpkins,melons or cantalopes the 16 footer will come in handy. But most times the other space should do me. I don't have this small pickup and small trailer yet, but I am trying to get there before the peak of next season.

Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms
E&W SC