market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Road's End Farm website

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Road's End Farm website
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:55:37 -0500

On 6/11/10 7:48 PM, BarbaraJ wrote:
I have my website on my business cards though, so I'm not sure
what to do about that one.

That's an easy answer. Owning the URL only costs about $10/year (give or take) and you can set the URL to auto-forward to ANY address you choose. So someone types in your URL (www.mountainviewmeadowsfarm.com) and, for example, it might take them directly to your facebook page or your Wordpress blog or wherever you choose. The URL is separately owned from the website hosting. However I don't know the status of your URL....do YOU own it or does your hosting site own it?

Here's an example.... Buy Fresh Buy Local in Oklahoma is run by Kerr Center for Sustainable Agriculture. I worked on the committee who helped to get it going the first couple of years. We didn't have the infrastructure to run our own separate website so we host it on the Kerr Center website, however, we wanted a unique URL for publicity materials so we bought the URL http://www.BuyFreshBuyLocalOK.com and we set it up to auto-forward to http://www.kerrcenter.com/buy-fresh.htm

Make sense?

--Leslie