market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Road's End Farm website

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Road's End Farm website
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:00:11 EDT

One thing to keep in mind with costs, is what specific goal or goals you have for your website.  If you already have a lot of customers and merely want a place to give them all the latest and greatest information about the farm and your general activities there, then some freebie on Wordpress is a great way to go.  On the other hand, if you're using your website to bring in more business, for instance if you need folks to find you via Google topic searches, then a more expensive website *should* give you tools to bring in that additional traffic.  Those tools don't come cheap and a website that provides those tools won't come cheap either.  And thirdly, if you're using your website to disseminate very detailed information about specific products, orders, charges, invoices, etc, that will also cost something.  For instance if you've got an online weekly ordering system where folks put in product quantities and/or pay online, via some kind of shopping cart setup, those are tools which need to be up to date to provide for smooth operations.  So the cost of the website must also be viewed in terms of what you expect that website to do for you.  Different goals and tasks will require different amounts of computing power, so will naturally cost different amounts.  If you don't need that functionality, don't pay for it.  If you do need that functionality, it's unlikely that a freebie website host will provide those tools.  Just like a tractor - figure out what jobs you need it to do, then get something that will get the job done as cost effectively as possible.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA (where the sun FINALLY came out)