market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] clearing land cost?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] clearing land cost?
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 20:10:28 -0500

In 1978 my neighbor hired me to clearcut 6 acres of oak forest. I did it on shares for firewood. He sold $20,000 of really nice logs, some good veneer (that's where the big check came from...the saw logs were around 10K)(log prices were sky hi around here then). He then hired our local cuthroat to clear the stumps and deroot down about a foot, with long tines on the Cat bucket, made for that. He told him to work until he got to $10k and then quit. Got it all cleared for that, ready to plant. So he had make 10K on logging and he and I both had several years of firewood.

The land has been into the normal rotation of corn/oats/beans/sod/hay.
It is good land.

On the hill to the south he cleared twenty acres over a few years. The county ag guy came by and was skeptical. The forester came by and said that THAT land was best left in trees. So it was replanted to white oak and ash. Another twenty years and they can start selectively cutting. The Ash Borer was not around then....he is now....the ash is toast.

Mike