market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] clearing land cost?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nan Hildreth <NanHildreth AT riseup.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] clearing land cost?
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:58:41 -0500

Yes, Karen, government could pay us a bit for growing trees for both water conservation and carbon sequestration. Hmmm. Congress is very near enacting carbon legislation and forests are cheap sequestration. Timber sells cheap, so paying us a bit is a lot. What do loggers pay? $10/ton? $100 per ton?

Hmmm. EPA says our forests now sequester 14% of US carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas emissions. EPA says if they paid us $50 a ton, we would sequester 39%. . http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/emissions/downloads10/US-GHG-Inventory-2010_Chapter2-Trends.pdf http://nicholas.duke.edu/ccpp/ccpp_pdfs/harnessingfaqs.pdf Add energy conservation, more clean energy, and other wedges and climate would be stabilized. http://thebreakthrough.org/blog/2008/05/carbon_capture_solution_or_sca_1.shtml

Not to mention that soils sequester lots more carbon than trees and adding more improves our soils.

Nan in the Piney Woods