market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] clearing land cost?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] clearing land cost?
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 15:14:28 -0400

We've cleared ground.  I think its economical (regardless of the cost) over a long term period.  It will disturb the soil. Costs were pretty similar to what Willie posted when you figure our time and the cost to purchase a used dozer/loader and the use of chainsaws, our Bobcat and new gear for it, like a brush attachment.

I do know, looking over our property and comparing it to photos taken in the 1890s that all the growth was less than 100 years old, with a great deal of it growing in my life time.  So the entire area has been deforested once.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855