market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] clearing land cost?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] clearing land cost?
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 11:53:15 -0400

I usually sugest starting stuff like this at the extension office, as in all Maines land has been soil typed and mapped, your extension office should have a map of their county,
if your state has been done.

Some extension folk dote on getting out onto the land and poking in the dirt, if no-one
in your county office seems interested ask them to put you in touch with a soils person.

A decent earthwork contractor should be able to give you a figure on the cost of clearing
your land, might even bring along a small digger to do some sampling when estimating.

If there is a usefull amount of wood on your land and you are doing a reasonable amount
a contractor may be willing to bring in harvesters and chippers leaving you with just stumps to be dug and disposed of.

The difference between the current value of your land and what it could be; plus a premium as it is where it is, is what you have to work with; I wish you the very best
in your project.

MAsteveINE