market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "breck" <bcarden AT breckinridgegroup.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:47:05 -0500

Tall posts (10+’) slanted outward, two strands electric wire (6” and 48” from ground) baited with foil peanut butter, then circled with multiple strands of cheap bulk grade fishing line to the top. Good for all critters. Probably should be up before your crops, so they aren’t used to dining in your garden. The posts were tiers from an old tobacco barn. I used this for two years without any critters entering the garden, and then I switched to a tractor/tiller from my BCS. There wasn’t enough room to turn the tractor within the confines of the fencing so I just put off re-installing. Low and behold the deer never have bothered my crops enough to re-install, I take care of the other creatures by other means. Perhaps the deer don’t like my smell where I spit and such. The deer do cross the garden after the season. There is a healthy stand of clover surrounding the crop area.

Lots of luck,

Farmer Breck

Breck Carden

Carden’s Garden

2400 E Hwy 22

Crestwood, KY 40014-7704

breck AT breckcarden.com

www.breckcarden.com

P.S. Now isn’t this a lot more fun than talking about R. and P.?