market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cost to lease land

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Carla Shafer <cshafer.friends AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cost to lease land
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:43:54 -0600

You can find ag land rental statistics by county at http://www.nass.usda.gov/QuickStats/

Carla Shafer
Earthly Goods Farm
Pleasantville, TN
_______________
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
          ~ Margaret Mead

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org> wrote:
 On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:05:33 -0500, Deb Taft wrote:

> I'm looking for land to lease in Westchester County NY, the county right
> above "The" City.  There aren't a whole lot of places with comparable
> economic structures!!! but I'm wondering if you can give me some idea of how
> much I should expect to pay per acre per month...or is it usually figured per
> year/season?

I don't know of any formula, and each situation may be so different that it's hard to even use examples to set your own price. But another way to come up with a figure is to start at the other end--what do you expect to make off the land, and what seems like a reasonable expense for that income? If you expect to gross $20,000 (to make up a figure), it might be reasonable to pay $500 or even $1000 (and I think you'd want to look at all your expenses together before deciding that). If your gross will be closer to $5000, then a few hundred bucks would be a lot.

If I were leasing land, I would want to be sure to have a lease for at least a growing season, preferably more, to justify the start-up investments of time and equipment installation.

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/