market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cost to lease land

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cost to lease land
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:21:21 -0500

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:05:33 -0500, Deb Taft wrote:

> I'm looking for land to lease in Westchester County NY, the county right
> above "The" City.  There aren't a whole lot of places with comparable
> economic structures!!! but I'm wondering if you can give me some idea of how
> much I should expect to pay per acre per month...or is it usually figured
>per
> year/season?

I don't know of any formula, and each situation may be so different that it's
hard to even use examples to set your own price. But another way to come up
with a figure is to start at the other end--what do you expect to make off
the land, and what seems like a reasonable expense for that income? If you
expect to gross $20,000 (to make up a figure), it might be reasonable to pay
$500 or even $1000 (and I think you'd want to look at all your expenses
together before deciding that). If your gross will be closer to $5000, then a
few hundred bucks would be a lot.

If I were leasing land, I would want to be sure to have a lease for at least
a growing season, preferably more, to justify the start-up investments of
time and equipment installation.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/