market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:35:34 -0800

Years ago, when we lived in a hole cut in the forest (Pacific Northwest) I discovered a cheap way to get our deer to stay out of the garden. I've always used 5-ft chicken wire to surround the garden because of the ease of use, cost, etc. Then one of the deer family that made their home nearby decided that she would not abide by the tacit agreement we had (everything outside the fence is yours to eat if you leave the stuff inside alone.) Not having the money or time to erect a taller fence I jury-rigged something that actually ended up working quite well.

I attached 3-ft bamboo stakes to the top of each t-post with a zip-tie, Then I strung 'bird-scare tape' between the posts a bit on the loose side. First day I put a strand at the very top; kept her from going over, but gave her enough room to put her hoofs on the fence an pull it down and squeeze thru. Next repaired the break and strung two more stands; one at the top of the old fence and another in-between those two strands making 3 strands a foot apart on the top of the existing fence. Think I used small strips of duct tape to attach to the bamboo stakes.

I happened to be home when 'Mama' deer tested that iteration. Totally freaked her out, she walked around and around looking for a way in for about 40 minutes, finally gave up and moved on. That configuration kept everyone out, never had another problem.

Kate
Zone 7