market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:04:43 -0500

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:51:58 -0600, Marie Kamphefner wrote:
> Regards to the list:
>
> We need to install deer fencing around our garden area. Where is a good
>place
> to start looking for something that won’t cost an arm and a leg?

I have used two kinds of deer fencing. The tall plastic fencing is very
effective, but a bit pricey. Try Kencove. I think the heavier weight is
probably worth it in the long run, though the lighter weight seems to be
holding up OK.

I've had surprising success this past year with a double run of wire fence,
spaced three feet apart. The inner one is non-electric, with two strands, at
about 24" and 48". The outer one is electrified, with three strands at 16",
32", and 48". For the outer, I used a run of white horse tape for the middle
wire to increase visibility; I'm not sure it has done any good, but it does
nicely outline the massive enclosure I've created! The theory is that the
electricity keeps them from pushing through, the total width keeps them
jumping over, and the narrow space keeps them from jumping in and then
jumping out.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/