market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Driveway and parking areas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Driveway and parking areas
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:18:02 -0500

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 07:00:07PM +0300, Wiener, Benjamin L CPT
NG NG FORSCOM wrote:
I'm starting a new berry farm and I am wondering how others
handle parking for on farm market sales. I am starting from corn
stubble in a field with a field access on one end. I'll get a
permit for an additional road access from the main highway. Has
anyone used the reinforced grass products? They come in rolls and
you install them over turf or new seedings and the plastic mesh
reinforces the sod once established.

I haven't used them, or seen them in use that I've noticed; but we have an application for a winery special use permit here, and they're intending to use something like that for parking. According to their explanation, you lay down gravel, then lay down the plastic, fill it with topsoil, and seed it; the plastic takes the weight of the cars so the grass doesn't get torn up in wet weather. If I remember correctly, though, they said the product they intend to use isn't recommended for drive lanes, only for parking, as the extra traffic on drive lanes smashes the grass blades repeatedly against the plastic to the point that this kills the grass. I don't know whether this applies to all such products, though.

The proposed winery isn't built yet, so I can't tell you how it holds up, even in parking areas. Maybe the people selling the stuff can tell you some places where it's already in use, so you could go look?