market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vegetables that deer don't eat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vegetables that deer don't eat
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:46:48 -0400

Seems like this topic was hijacked from talking about deer to talking about coons but since I talked about one topic I hesitated to bring up, fly bait, I might as well mention the other method I've been hearing about.  Some people put out dry instant mashed potatoes mixed with some kind of thick molasses or syrup, some say add a fair amount of salt.  You have to put out enough that the fill up on it.  Apparently, and I have no experience with this, the coons greedily gobble it up and have to get a drink of water right afterwards causing the instant potatoes to expand and blow up the poor coon's intestines, its a slow death from what I hear and the people that mentioned it seemed to get a kick out of it which I found disturbing.  The only virtues of this I can see is that it doesn't use noxious poisons which may poison more than the coon, especially if he dumps it over in your organic field, and that it won't kill any predator or scavenger that gets to the body before you do.  I've also heard dogs and other animals will drink the flybait/coca-cola mix and of course they may eat the poisoned dead carcass..  I don't want to kill the coyotes around here as they help keep the rabbit population under control, or the vultures, as they help keep the dead bodies cleaned up and help prevent diseases.  Personally I find these methods distasteful and am trying different, more humane ways first but its your decision.  The more humane methods I know aren't working very well with the coons that are left so I don't know what I might do in the future.

You're never too old to date. Senior Dating. Click Here.