market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vegetables that deer don't eat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vegetables that deer don't eat
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:48:29 -0400

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:57:13 -0400, Erin Bullock wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for good vegetable crops that deer
> won't bother.
> There is a high deer population on my farm, and I am trying to limit the
> amount of fencing I need to construct.  I am a 4-acre CSA farm in Victor,
>NY.
> Anyone have experience with deer nibbling potatoes, onion/garlic/ leeks,
> sweet corn, squash, cucumbers, melons, sunflowers? Thanks! Erin Bullock

Squash and melons, for sure. And strawberries, all winter long. I enclosed
about half an acre this spring with a double fence, and deer incursions into
the garden have fallen to zero, despite lots of them outside the fence. The
outside run is three wires, electrified, at 18", 30", and 48". The inside run
is not electric, wires at 36" and 48". This is not high-tech high-tensile,
just T-posts and daisy-wheel tighteners. I'm not sure how long into fall it
will deter them, but I'm impressed so far. Four acres is small enough to
enclose this way without much trouble, I would think.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/