market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vegetables that deer don't eat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vegetables that deer don't eat
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 22:04:34 -0400

I'm experiencing deer damage for the first time this season on a field which I'm bringing back into production after not being farmed for ~15 years. So far, I've seen extensive damage in my sweet corn, some damage to my fall squash, especially the butternuts, and no damage at all to either the garlic or potatoes.
Andy

Erin Bullock wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for good vegetable crops that deer won't bother.
There is a high deer population on my farm, and I am trying to limit the amount of fencing I need to construct. I am a 4-acre CSA farm in Victor, NY.
Anyone have experience with deer nibbling potatoes, onion/garlic/ leeks, sweet corn, squash, cucumbers, melons, sunflowers?
Thanks!
Erin Bullock