market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Home Grown Kansas! <hgkansas AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:04:53 -0700 (PDT)

We have an urban farm - small - we cultivate 6 acres of garden.  We live on a 3 1/2 lot in town.  There are large lots in my area of town and folks are not into taking care of them.  I also use the the back 75% of two lots near me (each 1 acre) and just got the use of a 2 acre plot less than a mile from my house - no charge - but part of an Independent school.  There are many of lots available - I don't have time for all of them.  We do have a greenhouse on the lot that we live on.  We add to our urban farm work by substitute teaching in the winter, managing two farmers markets, and using our marketing experience/connections to broker vegetables/fruits grown outside the Wichita area.  All though marrying a farmer might be a good route to go, we choose this alternative life style.  There are many ways to be a part of the farmers market experience.  Go to work for someone already doing it first.  If you like it, you will find a path.

Elzie
Wichita, KS

sunnfarm AT netscape.com wrote:
Suzi. You can start by marrying a farmer. I understand they have a lot of them in Iowa...Bob.
Howdy all,
I am going to be graduating from college coming up here in may. What
I really want to do is veggie production and farmers market, but I
dont own any land. From your experience, is market farming profitable
enough to pay for rented land? Is it best to go somewhere and get a
job for a few years so I can make a big downpayment, or should I try
to find land to rent and go into it right away? Any opinions are
defiantly appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Suzi Bernhard
Farmer wannabee in NE Iowa (finishing college in central iowa)