market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT mymarketfarm.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:01:00 -0400

I've farmed on both my own land and rented land, and there's pluses and minuses to both.  The one drawback to rented land is the prep work to get the land producing--it takes a good 3-5 years to get it into decent production, and in the meantime, the possibility of it getting taken away by the owners before I get to reap the benefits gives me the hibby-jibbies.  Plus I have a tendency to get "attached" to land so I try not to do the rented thing.

As for getting your own piece of land, Alex and Betsy Hitt (you can't farm long without discovering who they are) had a novel approach to securing their farmland.  They "sold" shares of the property to family members, then bought back those shares over the years.  The farm is now owned by them free & clear.

Here's a look at their operation.

Liz Pike
Morning Star Garden
Hillsville Va