market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Krystle Chung" <learning AT selfmadefarmer.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:24:43 -0700

I agree with John. I'm 25 and I've been working on farms for almost three years now. I just relocated to work at an organic vegetable farm (about 20 acres) that prioritizes profitability (i.e. the farm is run like a business more than like a lifestyle choice or a recreational pursuit) and it's been very enlightening, as well as challenging. The beauty of a farm that emphasizes profitability is that it can pay the employees enough so that they can viably sustain themselves financially. I make enough to pay my bills (car, health insurance, rent, groceries) while splitting costs in half with my partner. As I write this, I'm tired and achy after a long day at the farm but I'm happy and my bills are paid, so yes, farming can be profitable (and fulfilling).

Also, there is a desperate need for people in our generation to step up to the plate and figure out how we can make this an economically viable career choice. There are many people who are middle-aged and who have established wonderful farms with the help of their retirement and discretionary income, and if people our age don't crunch the numbers and figure out how we can feasibly buy these farms from them and carry them forward while still paying our own bills, these farms will disappear. I've come across several farmers who are looking for young people to carry on their legacy (especially since much of the time, their own children aren't interested) and they never look for degrees--they always look for commitment and experience.

My advice would be to keep your costs low, get a job at the most economically viable (but still progressive) farm you can find, visit other farms and farmers, and be willing to relocate, if you can. Best of luck to you!

Krystle
Salem, OR
http://www.selfmadefarmer.com

P.S. - I posted to this thread earlier, but I don't think it went through. If it did, I'm sorry for any repetition on my part!