market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: DreamThymeFarm <dreamthymefarm AT zoominternet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:44:05 -0400

Howdy all,
I am going to be graduating from college coming up here in may. What
I really want to do is veggie production and farmers market, but I
dont own any land. From your experience, is market farming profitable
enough to pay for rented land? Is it best to go somewhere and get a
job for a few years so I can make a big downpayment, or should I try
to find land to rent and go into it right away? Any opinions are
defiantly appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Suzi Bernhard
Farmer wannabee in NE Iowa (finishing college in central iowa)

Hi Suzi,

If you don't have experience, then work for a farmer, do an internship or be hired help.
If you have a good business plan and know what you want to do, you can do it without any land.

A friend of mine is using municipal land and runs a CSA.
It was very innovative, and she has a 10 year contract for $1 a year.
Her CSA is in its second year, and she has a waiting list.

There are county owned farms looking for farmers to work them for a 'free lease".

If you want more information on renting municipal lands, and what she did, drop me an email and I will connect you two.
She is an inspiration.

Lynne
dreamthymefarm.com