market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "E C GRANATA" <elainegranata AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:59:02 -0600

Suzi:  My experience with starting out included being a volunteer at a local organic farm -- it was invaluable for me to see how to organize and manage the many aspects of a CSA farm.  I support what others are saying to you about an getting an internship.  How soon you start out on your own after that depends on how fast you learn and how much risk you're willing to take.

I was able to find some land to lease for a fixed rate -- $100 per acre, or 10% of my profits.  I did a small CSA and farmers' market the first year and broke even, then made money the following years.  I only had 1 acre under cultivation , but the bigger the area, the more help you'll need and that adds to expenses.  The bottom line for me is that it is possible to make money farming, but not a living without some off farm income, especailly the first few years as you get established and learn to both farm and market.

Good luck.

Elaine
Denver