market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Beetberry?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons family <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Beetberry?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 09:24:11 -0800

I've grown beetberry in Washington state, in a tunnel greenhouse. I would classify it as an inevitable, not a perennial. It self seeds readily. It's become one of my weeds. I found it to be too bland - not something I graze on while wandering in the garden. I wonder if growing it out in the weather would produce a different taste.
Did anyone else try the blood-veined sorrel last year? It was, like beetberry, a beautiful plant, but I found the taste and texture very disappointing. I grew it outdoors, and have dug out the remaining plants, since this one is listed as perennial. I didn't get any "tangy lemon" taste at all, and the texture of the leaf was disturbing in the mouth.
I'm always looking for interesting additions to our salad mixes, but these two didn't make it.
Molly
Molly's Island Garden
Whidbey Island, Washington