market-farming - [Market-farming] 3pnt flamers, lay down weeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ploughshare" <gjbrever AT midwestinfo.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] 3pnt flamers, lay down weeders
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 17:42:15 -0600

John H,
Thanks for the link to this site. They do have some pretty interesting equipment. Couple questions I have on all the walk behind flamers--I wonder how much propane they go through compared with the red dragon back pack flamer. With that many burners I would think they would freeze up pretty quickly. Any experience. The designs on this UK website are nice because they are using larger bike tires than what I have otherwise seen with push flamers. However, I wonder how easy they are to push with the propane tank and all the other weight. It seems a like it may push a little akward and wouldn't flame as evenly as some walk behind models I have seen. But it would be nice to get the propane tank off of the back to do flaming.

The video on the "weedmaster" is very interesting as well. That push behind tool bar has some nice little implements like the spiders that I would love to have developed for the wheel hoe. However, it seems like it would be much more heavier to use than a Glaser Wheel Hoe. Perhaps if I had a draft Goat or something it would work pretty well.
I was actually thinking about purchasing another Glaser Wheel Hoe this year. The price on them seems so ridiculous though--Peaceful Valley has them (steel handles) for something like $350 and they don't even come with the hoe. I use ours quite a bit and a 2nd one would be nice, they just seem so overpriced for what materials are there. (Of course my son just bought a $150 i-pod, and I thought it was crazy to pay that kind of cash for something that small)

Regarding the lay down weeders...It seems like these things I could design ahead of my front end loader. What I wonder though, does laying down make all that much difference in speed and comfort on the body? Anyone have any experience using these?
--Gary
P.S.--I don't know if you received my message a couple weeks ago. I made reference, yet again to the study the UofWMadison did. In particular I quoted that even the largest of farmers were only averaging $18/hour--no healthcare benefits (except great organic veggies and fresh air), no retirement, etc.. Reflecting on the study put me in the dumps for a bit.