market-farming - [Market-farming] Wheelhoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Wheelhoes
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:50:59 -0500

Ploughshare wrote:
...I was actually thinking about purchasing another Glaser Wheel Hoe this year. The price on them seems so ridiculous though--Peaceful Valley has them (steel handles) for something like $350 and they don't even come with the hoe. I use ours quite a bit and a 2nd one would be nice, they just seem so overpriced for what materials are there....
You can buy old Planet Jrs. on eBay any day of the week for $40-100 + shipping depending upon condition and tooling, or if you are in an area with an agricultural history you may find them at estate and small farm auctions. I've probably bought at least a dozen in my area, Central/Western NY, over the past several years. At auction, at least in NY they usually go for $5-$45 depending upon condition.

I have looked at manufacturing a modern version of the Planet Jr., similar to the Glaser, but a little sturdier and the price they are asking is not out of line considering the small number which are manufactured and the steps in the distribution chain between the manufacturer and ultimate seller.
Andy
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com