market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:38:51 -0500

From my experience, there might be a small increase in costs. It seems to
me that the seeds are not quite as cheap as hybrids. I usually do get more cracks, splits and cat facing from heirlooms, but a good part of that is just me and no formal irrigation. The knowledgeable folks do not hesitate buying toms with 'minor' imperfections. The others folks, I just tell them to cut that part out. The toms are not for a photo shoot, they are going to get cut up anyway. Any extra loss in marketable toms can sometimes be made up in placing a premium price on the heirlooms (something I have trouble doing but feel I must in the future).

Tom
Limerock Orchards

I have heard heirlooms can be more expensive to grow because many heirlooms
(not all) produce smaller fruit plus cracking/disease is more prevalent in
some heirlooms varieties. I planned to grow more this year just in case
this is true as I don't normally grow heirlooms. Would anyone care to
advise on this? I would like to know if this is true.

Pat listed an excellent site for information on heirlooms. Try this
catalog. I have not ordered from them, but I will this month.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/