market-farming - [Market-farming] farmers' market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] farmers' market
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:46:52 -0600

Matt,

With my WHOLE heart, I would like to say "HANG IN THERE".

It is hard to see that you have a good idea, publicly declare that idea, and
strive to make that idea a reality. Been there, done that.

You are on the right track. Keep your expenses down, your professionalism
high, and your heart strong. Don't waver and all will be well.

I have a great publication from the University of Kentucky with point of
purchase cards which are "camera ready". Fruit and corn mainly. But I
doubt it would be hard to adapt once scanned into a computer. Professional
looking and easy to photocopy! The publication is:

Promoting and Advertising for Kentucky's Direct Markets.

Others from the U of Kentucky:
1. Farmers' Market Workbook How to Start A Farmers' Market in Your
Community

2. Direct Farm Marketing Guidebook for Farmers' Markets

Look for other publications that offer free copyright of camera ready
advertising material.

I have some contact information for TN and NM. If you are in either areas,
I can email names/number/email address to you. The contacts are from some
years back, but they may be of some value.

On another note, I think Steve makes some valid points. BUT If the market is
not a FREE Market as he suggests, but it is a "private club or organization"
a manager has many rights. The rules adopted and set by the managing person
can indeed insist on reasonable pricing. It is easier to educate and
convince folks it is in the benefit to do so. But it can be an enforced
issue. Just allow each grower to feel you are listening to their needs, but
the good of the market is the foremost concern. I can see you are listening
to the growers, so don't sweat the small stuff. They will come around.

The lady with the pears and apples is missing out on a golden opportunity to
give an identity and bring in MORE PYO clients. She could use your market
for the next two years to bring enough customers to her PYO to completely
take care of her surplus. Then she can offer already picked fruit at her
residence. From her point of view, I think your resale of her products
should be only a temporary situation.

Make rules and stick to them. No one can argue it. If you see a change
needs to be made, you make it. Don't get bullied into it. A strong leader
develops a strong market.

Christina

  • [Market-farming] farmers' market, mtlivestock, 09/03/2004