market-farming - [Market-farming] Pressure treated Poles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pressure treated Poles
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:44:24 -0500

Hi, Allan!

I guess my first question is: did that 'safe' pressure treated wood ever become available?

Heh. The old pressure-treated wood had to be removed from the market, but as I forbid the stuff from being used in our community garden, I didn't pay attention. However, if you are buying ANY of that evil stuff, I'd be *very* careful just what it was -- we had a huge deal on the community garden list where all these lumberyards and garden centers were trying to unload their stock by "donating" it to unsuspecting Americorps volunteers for use in community gardens (and refusing to donate anything that wasn't pressure-treated) so that they wouldn't have to pay to cart the stuff to a hazardous waste site.

If you really feel you must buy the stuff (and I'd really, really think about that as the proper term really should be "chemical fungicide soaked wood"), at least look through the documentation and make sure that you're getting the newer stuff rather than the older stuff no one wanted to pay hazardous disposal rates for.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of