market-farming - [Market-farming] Wood chips for bedding?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Chris O'Byrne" <cobyrne AT myclearwave.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Wood chips for bedding?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:04:52 -0600

I've been thinking about buying a wood chipper to make my own bedding for my cattle next winter. I also thought I could run my compost through it to break things up better. Are wood chips just too big and sharp to use for bedding or are there chippers out there that can break things down pretty small. I could always scrounge up some sawdust at local mills, but I want to make my own. Is there a way to make sawdust without just cutting lumber, something similar to a wood chipper?

Chris

--
Prairie Song Eco-Farm
Zone 4