market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Wood chips for bedding?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Wood chips for bedding?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:35:50 -0500

Chris,
I used to work for a residential tree service. We used a big diesel
powered Vermeer wood chipper. It was a large disk chipper. It had spring
loaded hydraulic feed rollers. It had a special setup where a device would
detect that the motor was slowing down and it would turn off the hydraulic
rollers until the engine speed got back up. The rollers and springs would
eat a 4 inch branch with 2 inch side branches without even stopping the feed
rollers. There were teeth on the rollers that would crush the side
branches. We used to run pine logs 12-16" in diameter through it. it would
pull the log in about 6" at a time and just spit out chips all the while.
It would make a chip about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick and because it cuts
on an angle you would have a chip maybe and inch and a half to 2 inches
long. Wasn't exactly what I would call a soft material, as for animal
bedding.

You might find some ideas from a magazine called sawmill and woodlot
management magazine www.sawmillmag.com. I remember seeing a device that
acts more like a planner than a chipper. It makes shavings for bedding out
of softwood logs.

Paul Bock
Stone Gully