market-farming - [Market-farming] Wood chips for bedding?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Wood chips for bedding?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:23:03 -0500

Chris wrote:
I've been thinking about buying a wood chipper to make my own bedding for my cattle next winter.

I don't know what the recycling laws are in MN, but here in PA, some dairy people buy a shredder and then get the newspaper and cardboard that the local municipality has to gather for recycling, shreds the stuff up and uses that as bedding for their cows. Penn State has done a bunch of studies that show that shredded newspaper absorbs more animal urine than almost anything and the mix gives you the perfect C:N ratio for composting. Most farmers just spread the result on their fields and it's composted, so there isn't the N runoff that drives the Chesapeake Bay folks nuts.

I'd do a search on Penn State's site if you want more info -- they are usually pretty good about keeping research up on their site and the professors are usually very happy to answer questions through e-mail.

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of