market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pressure treated Poles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pressure treated Poles
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:51:17 -0800

Allan - I don't know about pressure treated wood in organic farming (sounds
like a no-no indeed) but for the Medicinal Plant Garden where I work we did
purchase the "new" pressure treated wood that claims to have lowered or
eliminated some of the really bad stuff (arsenic and such) that kills
earthworms. We used it for our new herb beds (we will not be certified
organic so it was a question of lesser of many evils).

It is VERY expensive and we found just one place in the southeast
(Pendergrass Supply and Rentals Fayetteville, TN 931-433-1282) that could
ship to us as a retail customer. They were very helpful and quick, etc.
The exact name of this brand of lumber is not on my invoice, darn - just the
code "ACQ PT" Jerry was the nice manager who worked with me.

For just for an example, one 4 x 4 12 piece cost $11.15 (our beds are 4 x 10
ft.) Shipping for enough lumber for 18 beds was $350.

nan at dancing goats farm
n. mississippi zone 7b