market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 20:39:51 -0400

> Lucy, please advise me. I'm new to all this, and loving it, but, what is
> CSA? So many of you are talking about it, and no doubt in my mind it's a
> good thing. But, please excuse my ignorance, I just haven't crossed paths
> with it.
> Hank

I'm not Lucy, but I play one on tv...oh, sorry...

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. The farmers sells a certain
number of "shares", investment amounts, into the future harvest of the farm.
The share prices are generally paid at the beginning of the season so the
farmer can have the financing he needs to buy the seed to plant. As the
harvest comes off, it's divided between the "shareholders".

This is a very simplified explanation, and the concept has as many variables
as there are farms using this business model. It's really a win-win
situation for the farmers and consumers.

You can learn more here:

http://www.csacenter.org/movement.html

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm