market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 12:03:20 -0500

Regards to the list:

For our small CSA this year, we have rounded out the shares with wheat
we grew last year and saved some back. I included a recipe to make
bread from the raw wheat along with enough for 8 loaves of bread. They
loved it! I have been buying strawberries for our shareholders - a
quart a week from a nearby farmer. Thank God for green onions and mixed
lettuce. Also, I am giving a dozen eggs every third week. Our stuff is
growing so slowly, I am thinking about not starting next year until
June. This week we will add more radishes and pac choi to the share.
The week after that, we think we will have some peas and new potatoes.
I am thinking about making oatmeal cookies to give them. I use organic
flour in my baking, so I suppose there is some redeeming value in that.
Unlike Joan, I don't worry too much about the shares. I know their
shares will be huge later on and I keep reminding all of them about
that. So far, everyone seems to understand. One lady said she was glad
it started out slowly so she can get used to having fresh vegetables
slowly.

Marie in Missouri

I need some brilliant ideas to keep CSA members happy till the sun comes
out
here in cloudy wet Massachusetts, even lettuce in growing in microscopic
increments.