market-farming - [Market-farming] Wheat Bread Recipe, was Advice/nothing to harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Wheat Bread Recipe, was Advice/nothing to harvest
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 20:50:16 -0500

Marie... I would love to get that recipe from you ! I am growing wheat
this
year for the first time. Thanks!

CRACKED WHEAT BREAD

1 cup wheat berries (or 1 1/3 c. cracked wheat cereal)
4 cups warm water
2 pkg. dry yeast
3 eggs
2 T. salt
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup shortening
9 or 10 cups flour

Soak wheat berries in 2 cups warm water overnight.

Next day, put wheat and water in blender and blend until fairly cracked.
I use HIGH for 4-5 minutes. Don't drain. Dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm
water and add eggs, salt, honey, shortening and 2 cups flour. Blend well
with electric mixer. Add cracked wheat mixture and 2 more cups flour.
Continue beating. Then with wooden spoon, mix in 5-6 cups flour. Work
dough by hand until it can be kneaded without stickiness. Knead 8
minutes. Let rise until double in bulk. Punch down. Let dough rest 10
minutes. Shape into 4-5 loaves. Place in greased loaf pans. Spray tops
with non stick spray. Cover with towel and allow to double in size. Bake
350 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.