market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 10:52:30 -0500

Beth & Leigh -

When I had my CSA and this early season stress came upon me I always made
salad dressings and breads - both homemade items that our members
appreciated and looked forward to - plus it kept me busy and not worrying
about what I DIDN'T have to give them. You could also whip up an herbed
cheese spread from all your fresh herbs right now, throw in some scallions
or chives with cream cheese and they have a fine spread for lunches.

I just came home last week from market with a overage of radishes (had taken
74 bunches so the overage wasn't too bad) - I took the radishes, sliced
them, added scallions, kalamata olives (could just be sliced canned ones)
and feta cheese. This made a nice radish salad that I then sold yesterday
at market and it was quick. Do some online recipe searches and you'll find
lots of stuff to extend your harvest.

And I'll add this is why I don't do CSA anymore - just couldn't take those
middle of the night panics over what I didn't have for harvest.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas