market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice/nothing to harvest
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:07:34 -0500

Beth,
I know the need to provide that you are feeling - it is an empty
feeling, and sometimes laced with panic in conditions of ill weather. I
hear you attempting to fill it with some very creative ideas.
I would suggest your doing the least stressful or most enjoyable of the
options you have chosen, and to write a letter as well, discussing the
situation. A CSA is an investment - an economic venture - which shares the
risks of the growers.
I know that you are concerned about next year, and that you want your
customers to be happy, but at the same time, the reality is that this year
is, at this point, non-productive.
Perhaps, if you give them a dozen eggs, some spices, and a recipe for
omelets including the spices, along with a letter describing the current
state of the crops, and the prospects for the season, and perhaps if next
week looks sparse too, ask if they would prefer to have another dozen eggs
next week, or a loaf of bread.....that you don't want them to go away
empty-handed, in spite of the current reality of the growing season.
Or, perhaps you could invite them to a "stone soup" pot luck - you know
the story of the village where everyone was hiding a bit of produce when
some hungry soldiers came through, and so the soldiers suggested making
stone soup - and everyone added a little something to the pot - they ended
up with a fantastic feast, as everyone added more and more. I don't know if
you have the kind of customers that would have the time or the inclination
to join you for such an event... but it would be a way to celebrate the
sparse conditions.

Keeping you in my thoughts,
Jill, who doesn't have her corn
in, nor her onions transplanted, and who only has 22 out of 100 tomato
plants transplanted, and whose garden soil is very wet today!!!!!