market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:27:15 -0800

It's hard to believe where this conversation has gone!

Re: Jay not wanting to give advice, your query is too grand. It's like
someone asking you how to farm. The answer is "Farm what? On how much
acerage? To sell at market or to restaurants? Organic or not? Animal feed or
fancy baby veggies?"

Re the website- are you branding your image? Giving hard fast facts that a
customer can use? Is it an online brochure? Are you setting up FAQs to avoid
phone calls so you can spend more time on the farm (or posting enlessly on
this list)? I think a "web presence" in itself is valid but it had better be
to help define who you are. Do you have a logo? What's your color pallette?
Why are there italics, all caps, no caps, a diiferent font, etc.

For the record, Jay has given me valuable advice off list and I always look
forward to his posts onlist. I don't always agree with them but this is
after some thought.

Rick W, no, your website isn't particularly anything. I am the kind of
boomer/yuppie/foodie that would drive 2 hours for great beef if I were
inspired. Your site doesn't inspire me to drive. I'm not saying you should
invest thousands in a web site but .....trust me, there's no way I would fix
my tractor without a professional. I have a background in web design and
graphics, so it interests me. But the fact that MS Word or Front Page can
produce a website doesn't mean it should. I can buy seeds at my local
Wal-Mart. But I don't.

Steve
www.ranchogordo.com