market-farming - [Market-farming] Relational/Network Marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave Lilligren" <dave AT lilligren.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Relational/Network Marketing
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:02:56 -0600

Dear Friends:

How many folks on this list have done well through word-of-mouth marketing?

We live about 85-95 miles from our major metro area (the Twin Cities), and
yet we have done well marketing our grass-fed beef and pastured poultry
through word of mouth. They love the beefy flavor of grass-fed beef and
rave about the great taste of pastured poultry. Then, they tell others, who
tell others... And they don't mind driving 90 miles to get it!

We have one friend who lives in Chicago (450 miles away) who is driving up
next month to pick up a half of a steer. This summer they want to come back
and pick up 125 broilers. Why? They told their friends in Chicago, who
want them to pick some up for their friends as well.

As we expand our operation, I'm sure that we will need to expand our
marketing techniques. We do have a whole foods-type store in our small town
that gladly posts flyers and ads for local farmers. We did get a good
egg-buying customer last year when we put a flyer up there.

Right now, we are thankful that the demand for our products exceeds our
supply. What a blessing!

Take care,

Dave Lilligren
Sandstone, MN