market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Relational/Network Marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave Lilligren" <dave AT lilligren.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Relational/Network Marketing
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:37:11 -0600

Hello, Rick:

Last year, we raised 400 broilers on pasture, and sold over 300 (we try to
keep quite a few for ourselves, as we eat about two chickens a week). Had
one tonight on the rotisserie - mouthwateringly delicious! The year before
we started out raising only one hundred. This year, we plan to raise
between 600 to 800 broilers, depending upon demand. The max we can do is
900 this year. I try to add one pen per year (so this year we'll have three
pens). I run 100 in each pen, 5 weeks apart. We can run three batches
through the pens on pasture in a typical Minnesota summer.

Regarding the beeves, we plan to butcher 5 this year (we already butchered
one last month, and we plan to butcher two at the end of this month, and two
more in the summer). This is our fourth year raising beef cattle. We're
still building the herd. We started with 4 and now we have 20.

We sell about 20 dozen eggs per week. We have a couple of folks who buy 10
dozen at a time about every third week. Plus, I work two nights a week in
"the Cities" as a technical trainer, and several students buy eggs, as well
as some other instructors (a couple of whom also buy pastured poultry).

We were selling garlic as well, but the weather killed us this past year.
It was the wettest summer in history in our neck of the woods, so we could
not get out to harvest (the skeeters got real bad), and then winter started
in early, and we couldn't get to planting this fall. We hope to bounce back
next year.

We're still pretty much small-time, but we are at least breaking even. We
just started farming again in 1998, and we are taking it slow so we can do
it right.

Hope this answers your questions!

Take care,

Dave L.