market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Farm markets vs. getting out of farming
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 17:51:30 -0600

Jay Gee wrote:
> What was pointed out is that most people are not going to
> drive two hours to pick up twenty pounds of steaks or roasts
> in order to save a dollar a pound.

That is true and I agreed that it was true. (There are always some
exceptions). But they do NOT have to drive anywhere as we deliver in the 40
mile zone.

> A farmer in close proximity to a prospect or customer may
> have little difficulty getting customers to drop by the farm
> to pick products up.

But we all know that and hope that we can get some of those folks to stop
by. Most people won't. But at least some do.

The BIG issue is whether or not you can get enough people to come from
longer distances at all. And our experience shows that it is not that easy
to do. Even people who like the product and who value it, don't value it
that much that they would drive that far except as a special thing such as a
recreational trip. This would be less common in the middle of winter here in
Wisconsin:)

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce