market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jay Gee's ideal farm marketing approach and web site
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:37:54 -0800 (PST)

Caryl Elzinga wrote:

>I think that your suggestion of hiring a marketing firm and a web design
>firm are unrealistic for most direct-marketers who tend to be small or
>one-family operations with a net that barely provides a livable income.
>Advertising $$ are few, and must be replaced where possible with creative
>low-cost solutions.

You may be mistaken if you believe everyone
subscribing to this list is barely getting by. There
are many one family operations that produce
substantial incomes for themselves and others
by employing people as needed to deal with
their volumes.

Creative solutions are always useful and the
lower the cost, the better the return on your
investment (unless it consumes too much time).

Glittering generalities aside, if you ask some
of the successful market farmers who advertise
whether or not their advertising pays off for them,
you'll find out that it does. For those who it does
not pay, they have either stopped doing it or
have learned that business declines when they
stop doing it, so they keep doing it in spite of
their belief that it does not work.

BTW, ad $$ should be supplemented, not
replaced. Not advertising only makes things
more difficult for you unless you are not ready
for prime time.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming