market-farming - [Market-farming] OT: renewable energy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] OT: renewable energy
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:34:33 -0600

Alex McGregor wrote:
> The sulfuric acid (and other
> pollutants) from burning coal are killing people and the hardwood forests
> in the Appalachians are dying from acid rain. This thanks to everyone
> west of here who uses electricity from the grid. And I won't go into
> black lung and displaced communities.

In our area, we get most of the electricity from coal that is brought in
from the west via railcar. I do have some good news that was released this
week by EPA. We are seeing a reduction of acid rain and we are already
seeing a reduction of bodies of water in the U.S. that are acidic. All the
money being spent on scrubbers is paying off and faster than ever expected.

> So, it really gripes my asymptote when someone smugly lectures me about
> using trees for heat from the warmth of their electrically heated abode.

Because of the smoke and particulates and cyclic hydrocarbons, wood smoke is
a problem in cities, but in the rural areas it can make sense, particularly
if you have a woodlot and ... most of us do.

> I'll stick to heating with a high efficiency, properly maintained wood
> stove with a catalytic combustor fired with sustainably harvested wood
> and wood from tree services that would otherwise go in landfills. And
> I'll continue to put my money where my mouth is by paying extra into
> TVA's "Green Switch" program so that more of the electricity I use is
> from renewable sources.

It is surprising how much more efficient wood burners are today compared
with only a few decades ago. The catalytic converter is a pain though:)

One thing to remember about electricity that some may not be aware ...
roughly 50% of the electricity is dissipated in the distribution system from
the time it leaves the generating plant until it reaches the average
consumers home or business. A small percentage of the heat value of the coal
actually makes it to the end user when operating electrical resistance
heating. But it is cleaner than if you burned the coal yourself.

Having said that, it is hard to imagine a more satisfying way to provide for
ones own needs than by burning wood that you cut, bucked up, hauled, split,
and stacked and brought in after a nice year long ageing. Not to mention
that when you do something for yourself, it can not be taxed as earned
income:)

Sincerely,

Rick Williams